Strategic Goal E: Enhance implementation through participatory planning, knowledge management and capacity building
Target 17: By 2015 each Party has developed, adopted as a policy instrument, and has commenced implementing an effective, participatory and updated national biodiversity strategy and action plan.
Kenya has a draft NBSAP but has not been approved however, targets in the draft NBSAP have been included and are being implemented in sector specific policies, strategies and programs
Draft NBSAP available for comments
The CHM has provided key resources for the implementation and review of the targets. There have been various mainstreaming activities into key sectors
Kenya has reviewed and updated her second edition of NBSAP . which has domesticated the Aichi Biodiversity Tragers as the overall goals and framework towards implementation of the CBD strategic Plan 2011-2020. In addition the National government together with county governments has developed various sector based strategies which set out action for biodiversity conservation, sustainable use and benefit sharing mechanism. These strategies include priorities, measurers, targets, indicators and support needed to effectively implement them in the context of country development needs and prevailing environmental circumstances within the sectors .
Kenya has put in place robust sectoral policies and legal frameworks with well elaborate and defined monitoring , evaluation and reporting frameworks which feeds into the overall NBSAP reporing framework,
- Species Management Strategies,
- The Community Land Act,
- WCMA 2013 recognition of conservancies.
- Revised EMCA 2015-
- Access to bio-resources toolkit,
- Bioprospecting strategy within and outside protected area developed,
- Masterplan for rehabilitation and restoration of water catchment areas
- Fisheries Management and Development Act-2016
- Forest Conservation and Management Act 2016
- Forest Management Strategy
- National Museums and Heritage Act
- Climate Change Act 2016
- National Climate Change Action Plan
- National Strategy for Achievement and Maintaining over 10% tree cover by 2022
- National Environment Policy 2014