Aichi Biodiversity Targets
- Strategic Goal A: Mainstream Biodiversity
- Target 1: People are aware of biodiversity and what they can do to conserve it.
Target 2: Biodiversity is integrated into the planning strategies and accounting of nations and local regions.
Target 3: Socio-economic incentives, such as subsidies, are shifted from environmentally harmful areas to areas protecting biodiversity.
Target 4: Governments, businesses and people have taken steps towards sustainable production within ecological limits.
- Strategic Goal B: Reduce the direct pressure on biodiversity and promote sustainable use
Target 5: Rate of loss of natural habitats is significantly reduced.
Target 6: Aquatic ecosystems are managed sustainably
Target 7: Agriculture, aquaculture and forestry and managed sustainably
Target 8: Pollution is brought to ecologically safe limits
Target 9: Invasive alien species are controlled, managed and prevented.
Target 10: Anthropogenic pressures on vital and vulnerable ecosystems are minimized. (2015)
- Strategic Goal C: Ecosystems, species and genetic diversity are safe-guarded
Target 11: Aquatic ecosystems are managed and protected.
Target 12: Extinction of species is prevented, and the status of threatened species is improved and sustained.
Target 13: The genetic diversity of cultivated and domestic species is protected.
- Strategic Goal D: Enhance the benefits to all from biodiversity and ecosystem services
Target 14: Ecosystems that provide essential and valuable services are restored and safe-guarded.
Target 15: The contribution of biodiversity to carbon stocks is enhanced, to contribute to climate change mitigation.
Target 16: The “Nagoya Protocol on Access to Genetic Resources and the Fair and Equitable Sharing of Benefits Arising from their Utilization” is operational (2015).
- Strategic Goal E: Enhance implementation through participatory planning, knowledge management and capacity building
Target 17: Each party has a national strategy and action plan (2015)
Target 18: Indigenous and local knowledge in relation to biodiversity is respected and integrated.
Target 19: Science and technology related to biodiversity are improved and applied.
Target 20: Financial resources are mobilized to assist in implementation of the Strategic Plan.
- Progress on implementation