ABS Information portal for Kenya
Kenya is renowned destination for tourists and researchers due to its abundant natural and cultural heritage. It is home to over 35,000 species of flora and fauna distributed in various national parks, nature reserves and private nature conservancies.
The Nagoya Protocol on Access to Genetic Resources and the Fair and Equitable Sharing of Benefits Arising from their Utilization to the Convention on Biological Diversity is an international agreement which aims at sharing the benefits arising from the utilization of genetic resources in a fair and equitable way. Kenya ratified the protocol on 07 Apr 2014
The Access and Benefit-sharing information portal for Kenya is a platform for exchanging information on ABS and a tool for facilitating the implementation of the Nagoya Protocol at national level.
This information portal also provides information on concepts and procedures of access to genetic resources and sharing of the benefits that accrue from its utilization in Kenya. It is meant to create awareness to local communities as well as providing guidance in management and monitoring of utilization of genetic resources by policy makers, regulators and checkpoints in Kenya
Kenya signed the protocol on 2012-02-01 ratified on 2014-04-07 and become a party on 2014-10-12
- Application for Access permit August 9, 2016
- Access permit: Collection of Ticks May 18, 2016
- Reviewd ABS regulations for comments April 18, 2016
- Access permit:Collection of plant food materials eaten by the Tana River Mangabey December 18, 2015
- Access permit:Collection of wood- and leaf-litter dwelling fungi samples November 30, 2015
- Hello world! on
- Third meeting of the Informal Advisory Committee to the Access and Benefit-sharing Clearing-House
- Composition of the Informal Advisory Committee to the Access and Benefit-sharing Clearing-House
- Third meeting of the Conference of the Parties serving as the meeting of the Parties to the Nagoya Protocol on Access and Benefit-sharing
- Nominations to the Ad Hoc Technical Expert Group on Digital Sequence Information on Genetic Resources and Reminder Regarding the Submission of Views and Information
- On the 5th of June 2017, Kuwait ratified the Nagoya Protocol on Protocol on Access to Genetic Resources and the Fair and Equitable Sharing of Benefits Arising from their Utilization, an agreement under the Convention on Biological Diversity, bringing the total number of ratifications to 100.